Ask-A-Doc: How do I know if a child needs medical treatment from a fireworks burn?

Q: Fireworks are my children's favorite part of summer celebrations. They are now old enough to use some of them with my supervision, but I still worry about injuries and burns. How do I know if they need medical treatment from a fireworks burn?

A: Burn injuries are classified from first degree to third degree, based on their severity. A first-degree burn is painful and causes redness of the skin; a second-degree burn causes blistering of the skin; and third-degree burns go through the skin to other tissues and/or muscles. Fireworks are most likely to cause first- and second-degree burns, but rarely third-degree burns. Self-diagnosing the severity of a burn is not recommended, and medical treatment should be sought with all burns. 

Click here to read more from  Dr. Tonia Cox with CHI Memorial Pediatric Diagnostic Associates on when your child needs medical treatment.