Youth Leadership Forum on Medicine
The Youth Leadership Forum in Medicine is a one-week program designed to encourage rising high school seniors and 2019 high school graduates to consider careers in medicine. During the course of the week, students will learn about careers in medicine, job shadow physicians who practice in several areas of medicine, including internal medicine, surgery, pathology, radiology, family practice, and pediatrics, and enjoy roundtable discussions with physicians.
The 2019 Youth Leadership Forum will be announced at a later date.
The program is designed to:
- Provide rising high school seniors and 2019 high school graduates the opportunity to learn more about life as a physician and inspire them to consider a career in medicine.
- Educate students about options available to assist with the cost of medical education.
- Provide students and local physicians with a community-based mentoring/teaching experience
- Increase the number of students who pursue careers in health care.
- Assist with efforts to increase the pipeline of health care providers in Southeastern Tennessee.
more about ylf
The Youth Leadership Forum on Medicine program deals with practice aspects of a career in health care. It will make participants aware of job opportunities in health care, as well as financial aid available for students pursuing careers in medicine, and the challenges and rewards of medicine. This work fills a critical need in many underserved communities, where primarily minority and disadvantaged people are not getting the health care they need.
The Selection Process
Rising high school seniors and 2019 high school graduates can be nominated by high school principals, guidance counselors, science teachers, and other youth program and civic leaders. No more than 25 students will be selected for the program.
Criteria for selection will be:
- Academic achievement
- Recommendation from science teacher, guidance counselor, principal, or civic leader
- Student statement
- High school diversity
How to Apply
Application forms are available at the Medical Society, 1917 E. Third Street or by calling 622-2872. You may also download the form using the button below.