The application process for the 2018 Youth Leadership Forum is now open. Students must complete an application (available below) and include a recommendation from a teacher, counselor or other educator to be considered for the YLF.
The 2018 YLF will be June 4-7, 2018. Applications are due April 13, 2018. Students will be notified of their acceptance by May 4 and they must indicate their intent to participate by May 18. A PDF version of the application is available at the bottom of this page along with a brochure for the Youth Leadership Forum.
The Youth Leadership Forum in Medicine is a one-week program designed to encourage rising high school seniors and 2018 high school graduates to consider careers in medicine. During the course of the week, students will learn about careers in medicine, job shadow physicians who practice in several areas of medicine, including internal medicine, surgery, pathology, radiology, family practice, and pediatrics, and enjoy roundtable discussions with physicians.
Students who complete the program may have an opportunity to participate in additional mentoring and shadowing activities over the summer.
Rising high school seniors and 2018 high school graduates can be nominated by high school principals, guidance counselors, science teachers, and other youth program and civic leaders. No more than 25 students will be selected for the program.
Criteria for selection will be:
- Academic achievement
- Recommendation from science teacher, guidance counselor, principal, or civic leader
- Student statement
- High school diversity
How to Apply
Applications forms are available at the button below or at the Medical Society, 1917 E. Third Street, or by calling 622-2872.
The program is designed to:
- Provide rising high school seniors and 2018 high school graduates the opportunity to learn more about life as a physician and inspire them to consider a career in medicine.
- Educate students about options available to assist with the cost of medical education.
- Provide students and local physicians with a community-based mentoring/teaching experience
- Increase the number of students who pursue careers in health care.
- Assist with efforts to increase the pipeline of health care providers in Southeastern Tennessee.
The Youth Leadership Forum on Medicine program deals with practice aspects of a career in health care. It will make participants aware of job opportunities in health care, as well as financial aid available for students pursuing careers in medicine, and the challenges and rewards of medicine. This work fills a critical need in many under-served communities, where primarily minority and disadvantaged people are not getting the health care they need.
The Week at a Glance
- June 4-7, 2018
- Participants need to be available from 8 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. daily. Full attendance by each participant is essential if the Youth Leadership Forum is to meet its objectives.
- Students are responsible for their own transportation.
- Breakfast and lunch will be provided.